BS in Computer Science, December 2002, University of Georgia
Sean builds things with Python, Flask, PostgreSQL, Redis and RabbitMQ.
In the past he’s built things with Erlang, Ruby, Java and PHP.
Rocket Science Group
May 2012 to present
- Developing a predictive analytics service using Python, PostgreSQL,
Redis and RabbitMQ. The service maintains summary statistics on
around 3 billion unique items, processing 250 million events per
- Prototyping a business intelligence tool to enable customers to
perform ad hoc analysis on their data using Python and BigQuery.
Senior Engineer at
July 2010 to May 2012
As a lead developer on Vitrue’s Core Services team, Sean was instrumental in
modularizing and scaling the core APIs behind Vitrue’s social
marketing platform, including:
- Developing a social API data harvesting/notification service and caching API
using Erlang, ZeroMQ, Redis and PostgreSQL. This service replaced a
slower, more limited Ruby application, realizing substantial
- Leading development of Vitrue Publisher’s conversational features
for Facebook and Twitter.
- Prototyping Vitrue’s location-based marketing offering: a self-service toolkit
with Foursquare and Facebook Places integration.
- Collaborating with other members of the team on devops-focused efforts,
building and maintaining Vitrue’s EC2 infrastructure using Chef and Scalr.
- Providing practical and conceptual guidance to fellow engineers.
Senior Software Engineer at
May 2008 to July 2010
Sean helped drive development of Wildfire Platform, a SaaS web application that
assists organizations in managing and mobilizing their supporters to grassroots
action. The application has been used by a diverse crowd of organizations such
as the Jonas Brothers, the National Urban League, Atlanta Union Mission and
Wildfire was built using Spring and Hibernate (with PostgreSQL under the hood)
and deployed to a cluster of Tomcat app servers.
- Lead development of the platform’s REST API and implemented a number of client
applications powered by the API, including an SMS survey application written in
Scala/Lift and a number of smaller-scale PHP solutions.
- Planned and implemented new features for and improvements to the Wildfire
Platform in an iterative fashion.
- Collaborated with other engineers in the maintenance of Mobilization Labs’
production and QA environments and the wide variety of associated systems,
database and network administration.
- Collaborated with other engineers in scaling the platform to handle the large
amounts of traffic and the resulting mountain of data. This included
integration of Terracotta into the application cluster and serving static
resources from Amazon S3.
Senior Software Engineer at
January 2008 to May 2008
Sean helped guide the growth of InComm’s web development team through his
programming expertise, by agitating for better development practices, mentoring
other developers on the team and updating the technology stack on which the
team’s new and existing applications run.
- Designed and implemented internal and customer-facing web applications using
Spring and Hibernate, as well as supervising up to five other developers
working in concert on these applications. Also designed the UI for several of
- Planned and implemented a number of much-needed improvements to existing
production applications on a variety of platforms (Rails, Spring/Hibernate and
ColdFusion). These included vast UI improvements, performance optimizations and
critical feature additions, as well as migration from Struts to Spring MVC.
- Collaborated with management on analyzing and setting project roadmaps and
feature sets for upcoming releases.
Sean is the co-organizer of the Atlanta Lisp Users Group.
He also volunteers at the
Grant Park Community Garden.
In previous lives, Sean did time as a Java developer at
Hannon Hill and as an SA and PHP developer at a small